Страницы

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Law enforcement

Why Didn’t the F.B.I. Stop the New York Bombing?

The F.B.I. is the government agency in charge of investigating terrorism. But the bureau has been criticized for failing to thwart a series of terrorist attacks in recent years in Boston; Orlando, Fla.; Garland, Tex.; and now New York. In each of those cases, the person suspected of carrying out the attack had been investigated previously by the F.B.I. The latest case involved Ahmad Khan Rahami, 28, who was charged with setting off bombs in New York and New Jersey.

Why wasn’t the F.B.I. able to prevent the attacks by arresting those now believed to be responsible?

None of the people in those cases had broken the law or given a clear indication that they intended to kill. The F.B.I. is not allowed to conduct open-ended investigations without justification.

No comments:

Post a Comment