Russia expects US to provide evidence of chemical weapons use by Syria
he Russian Defense Ministry expects the Pentagon to provide evidence of the use of chemical weapons in Khan Sheikhoun (Idlib province) by the Syrian army, the ministry’s spokesman, Major-General Igor Konashenkov, told a press briefing in Moscow on Friday.
"We are awaiting explanations from the US on the availability of what they call unquestionable evidence proving that chemical weapons in Khan Sheikhoun were used by the Syrian army," he said, adding that the Russian Defense Ministry had already denied the use of chemical weapons by Syrian troops.
"All accusations against Damascus on the alleged violations of the Convention on the prohibition of chemical weapons put forward by the US to justify the strike are groundless," he emphasized.
Konashenkov recalled that the Syrian government fully eliminated chemical weapons, their means of delivery and all production facilities from 2013 to 2016. "All stockpiles were destroyed, and the available components for the production of chemical weapons were removed from Syria and destroyed at enterprises in the US, Finland, the UK and Germany," he said.
No comments:
Post a Comment