Страницы

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Corruption

Richard Bistrong: The dangerous charm of agents

That’s not something we often hear about. In most of my readings, agents are abstract concepts, part of an "issue" about potential ethical and legal hazards. But there's often something much deeper going on.

Most top agents are extremely kind, courteous and gracious people. Let me add overly polite. When their clients come to see them at far off locales, either for the first time or over the course of an engagement, the agents are wonderful hosts. From arrival at an airport until departure, the client is treated as an honored guest, often even invited for a meal or two at the agent's home.

I often found myself trying to politely refuse staying at the home of the agent but in some cases they would have none of it. I once ended up at the home of one of my intermediaries in South America, sprawled on the living room floor with him and his children, as he skillfully demonstrated how to field strip a very impressive hunting rifle. Even later, when I realized the agent was corrupt, I still liked the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment